Thursday, July 5, 2012

Foresight


Foresight. And no, not the actual I-have-a-vision-from-the-future type of foresight. I'm talking about the ability to look at the situation you are in and see all possible ramifications of it. I have that ability. It's a wonderful thing to have, especially when you're a writer.

But it malfunctions. When I really need it. If I'm writing, I can juggle complex political systems in order to steer the plot in the exact direction I need, keep track of the names of five different squires, and remember the bloodlines of three different dragons. I can see exactly how this should interact, and the different factors that could make it turn out differently. But when I need this ability in real life?

It goes down the drain.

I think this might be because of distancing. When you're in the thick of something, it's hard to see it in a big-picture format. But when you're the almighty puppet-master of your book's world... It's a little easier to see how things branch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment