Monday, April 23, 2012

S- S is For Secrets

     Secrets. Gotta have 'em. I'm not talking about turning your book into a mystery or crime drama when it originally was a fantasy. No... I'm saying that one of the ways to add depth to your characters is give them secrets. Also, give them motivation to keep those secrets from each other. This will create... wait for it... Conflict! And Conflict is king, so make some of it.

     The only hard part of the secrets game is keeping track of who knows what and who thinks what. The best idea I've heard is to keep a notepad with some sort of table on it right beside your computer, and make little notes as you go as to who knows what and how much. Right now I'm working off of my head because I didn't start said notebook early enough, but let me tell you, a notebook sure would be handy right about now...

     So learn from my mistakes. When giving your characters secrets to keep from each other, use a notebook to keep track of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment