Monday, January 28, 2013

Fear Is A Choice

     What do you fear? Think long and hard. Come up with something that truly terrifies you.

     You are choosing to be afraid of it. You can argue all you want, but being afraid is a choice. Yes, it is a natural action. Yes, it is a reflex to danger. Yes, it can be controlled. You laugh at me, don't you, dear reader?

     Let's take an example fear... Being afraid of the dark. I used to be afraid of the dark. My parents didn't know this, but I used to be freaking terrified of it. I tried everything to get rid of this fear. I tried tensing my mind up, trying to block it out. I tried standing in the dark for long periods. None of it worked, and I was scared of the dark for far longer than I am going to admit to the public.

     Fear is a choice, even if it's a subconcious one. Once I realized this, I was able to overcome my fear very easily. I accepted my fear. You cannot overpower fear, it is a foe much stronger than you. When it washes over you, tensing your mind to resist will leave you paralyzed. Instead? Relax into it.

     I'm not spouting any zen crap here, what I'm saying is that you have to find peace with the fear you have(which you should note, is a lot easier as a Christian). The way that I did this was imagining the worst possible thing that could come to back my fear. Being a writer with a fantastic imagination, this conjured a gang of five clowns with large knives some pretty horrible images of what waited for me in the dark. Then, I allowed myself to imagine those fears taking place... A hidden monster killing me, falling down an unseen hole, having my throat slit from behind.

     The fear was unbelievable. Until I shrugged and said: "Well, can't do anything about it."

     When you accept that you are powerless against fear, it loses its power over you. It's like swimming. If you kick and flail and struggle, you're going to sink lower and lower and lower. But if you take nice, deep breaths and relax... You float.

      So the next time you're afraid, acknowledge your fear, acknowledge you can't do jack about it, and move along. It might just help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment